Wednesday 24 December 2014

Smoke on the Water – is it really a classic?

I was listening to a rock radio station on the way to work a few weeks ago and the DJ said they would start the next hour with the best riff ever. I said to myself that it would be Smoke on the Water and giggled but I was actually right. The next song they played was the familiar dirge of Smoke on the water, I have issues with the comment, I think there are far better riffs out there, and in my opinion you can listen to an album by Metallica or Iron Maiden and hear 5 better riffs.

Now, I am a fan of rock music but I do have a problem with classic rock radio stations playing songs like the Deep Purple classic over and over again. The likes of SOTW and Paranoid are constantly included on rock stations and you normally know what track you are going to hear next when they mention Sabbath, Zeppelin or Deep Purple, to me it displays a lack of imagination to play the very first song you think of when you decide to play one of these artists songs.

Please Mr DJ, Dig a little deeper and find a track that doesn’t normally get the airplay. So here is a small list. Here are 5 tunes that have a better opening riff than Smoke on the Water.

I am not saying that any of these are the best riff in the world, just that they are better than the first riff anyone plays when they first pick up a guitar.

Since you been gone - Rainbow

Black night - Deep Purple

Back in Black - AC/DC

I am the Law - Anthrax

Enter Sandman – Metallica

The Trooper – Iron Maiden

No comments:

Post a Comment