Wednesday 24 December 2014

Top 5 Christmas songs

I guess it is that time of year again when all of the shops start to play the Christmas tunes; actually, that time of year has been upon us for a few months. I am sure the first time I heard a Christmas tune this year was October while I was doing the weekly food shop. They had very cleverly integrated it amongst a normal play list but Rudolph the red nosed reindeer sort of stands out when you have just been listening to some 80’s pop music.

While we are getting all seasonal and rocking around the Christmas tree I thought I’d share my own top 5 favourite Christmas songs.

As you can imagine, there is a slight twist to my top 5.

Rather than choose 5 traditional songs I thought I’d pick 5 songs that I actually enjoy listening to.

Stop the cavalry – Jona Lewie

This could be easily be classed as a normal song, there isn’t really that much of a Christmas feel to it, the song is really about a soldier being away from home until he sings “Wish I could be home for Christmas”, then the sleigh bells start in the background and you are slightly distracted from the overall feel of the song itself.

River – Joni Mitchell

There must be nothing more painful than a breakdown of a relationship over the festive period, It must make you wish you had a river that you could skate away on. At least, this is how Joni tells it and who am I to argue? This is one of my favourite songs and I could (and do) listen to this all year round. From the Jingle Bells piano introduction right the way through to the final softly played note, I am entranced by the sheer brilliance that Joni somehow evokes.

Pipes of Peace – Paul McCartney

There may be some debate about whether this song can be called a Christmas song but it is my list so I am including it. This is more about peace and love and wouldn’t it be a wonderful world but the video brought this song into the Christmas environment by reproducing the Football match that was reportedly played between the British and the Germans on Christmas Eve 1914.

Fairy tale of New York – The Pogues and Kirsty McColl

This is another Christmas song that I could listen to at any time of the year. I have loved this since the very first time I heard it and I loved the fact that there are a few offensive comments in there as well.

White wine in the Sun – Tim Minchin

“I really like Christmas, it’s sentimental I know, but I just really like it”, this could have been a listing for my favourite opening lines post. This is a song I have only recently heard but it has had such an impact on me that it gets a top 5 placing. This, to me, is what Christmas is all about. I don’t mean drinking white wine, and I doubt if there will be much sun. What I do mean is it is about family and everyone coming together to celebrate the festive season. It isn’t about presents or even about religion, these are not the things you remember. It is about getting together with your loved ones and celebrating life. This is the part of Christmas that I always look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment