Saturday 16 March 2013

Travels around the world – And so it begins


12 months of planning and a few false starts later and the day was finally upon us.  September 1st 1993. There are tales of me locking myself in the bathroom on the morning of our departure but I have no idea where these came from.  My mom still insists to this day that it happened but it is not something I remember doing.  What I do recall of that morning was my sister, my strong sister who never cries, crying and telling me to make sure I stayed safe and came back. That will bring a lump to your throat.
A couple of hours later and we were at Heathrow airport ready to begin the journey of a life time. There were photos of us with our backpacks and all of that malarkey and then that was it, we said our goodbyes and headed to the departure lounge.  I am sure we were both nervous and excited in equal parts but the prospect of 14 hours on a plane will help to keep you in check.  Next stop Thailand.
People keep asking me if I was excited and the best answer is ..about as excited as you can be at the prospect of a 14 hour flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment