Monday 18 March 2013

Martyn the Donkey

When I was a kid I loved it when my Nan and Granddad came to visit.  I am not sure how often they came over but it was always a special day.  
One of the high lights of these visits was without a doubt story time.  My Nan would read us a story and pull faces as well as doing the voices; it was this that made me call her funny Nanny when I was trying to explain which Grandmother I was talking about.
My Granddad’s story time was completely different.  He never used to read us stories, he’d tell us stories and our favourite character was Martyn the Donkey.  He had such adventures and I would hang on my Granddad’s every word,  It stands a chance that he was making it all up as he went along but unfortunately I cannot remember any of the details in any of the many stories he used to tell.
A few years ago I decided it was time that Martyn came back to life so I jotted a few words down and actually began to enjoy the writing so before long I had 2 or 3 short stories. I have never done anything with them and I am not even sure if they are any good but they are mine and remind me of someone amazing who we lost way too early.

No comments:

Post a Comment