Saturday 8 February 2014

Favourite Drummers

Let’s face it, Drummers are well known for being a little bit crazy. If there is one member of the band that is going to go off the rails and set fire to something then look no further than the drum stool. I am not sure if it is the psychotic personality of the person that makes them want to become a drummer or if it is the endless hours spent hitting things at an ear splitting volume, slogging their guts out but remaining largely unnoticed that just tips them over the edge. Whatever it is I thought it was time to pay tribute to the unsung heroes of the band and give you my top 5 Drummers list.

5 - Stuart Cable - I saw Stuart Cable with the Stereophonics a few times and I was impressed with his performance every time. He was much more of a showman than a good many of his counterparts of the time. Most pop drummers are happy to sit and play but he was much more of an old school rock drummer who just happened to be in a chart topping band. One of his “tricks” was to launch his drumsticks into the audience by bouncing them off the floor tom or off one of the cymbals and he really could make them travel.

4 - Tommy Lee – I was never really a Motley Crue fan but somehow I found myself at one of their concerts, my mate had a spare ticket and Skid Row were the support act so I decided to give it a try. I have to say that they do actually put on a very good show and the highlight was the Tommy Lee Drum solo. Normally a drum solo would make me run to the bar but I had heard that on this occasion it was worth staying around. What I had heard was correct, this drum solo was the “Now legendary” revolving drum kit solo. Tommy is strapped into his stool and as he begins his solo the drum kit is raised on its platform and the cage starts to revolve, it starts slowly but as the drummer increased his pace then the revolutions got quicker and quicker until I was not even sure which way he was actually facing. This earns T bone the number 4 slot.

3 - Dave Grohl – It is not very often that you find a drummer who gives up the drum stool and moves on to front a band. Phil Collins did it with Genesis and the only other person I can think of is Dave Grohl. While Kurt was no doubt the charisma and driving force of Nirvana, Grohl’s ability behind the kit really gave the band a unique sound and he has since gone on to stamp this originality on to other bands. His appearance on the Queens of the Stone age track “No One Knows” is an incredible example of unique rolls and fills never before heard in such an eclectic combination. It must be the world’s toughest job to be the Drummer of the Foo Fighters when you are tasked with adding a beat to a song that was written by such an enthusiastic and unpredictable drummer. Sadly Dave Grohl’s inclusion in this list has taken the place that I could have used for Taylor Hawkins.

2 - John Bonham- Arguably the world’s best ever Drummer he was also one of the loudest. The power that he managed to generate was legendary. This does not mean that this display of power was at the detriment of technique, there is a lot of intricate stuff going on in his drumming. Even taking something like “Stairway to Heaven” which is not considered to be heavy on the drumming there is so much going on. I challenge you to listen to the drumming behind the guitar solo and fail to be impressed.

1 - Keith Moon- Moon the Loon has to take my number 1 slot. It may be a little controversial among the Led Zep fans and people who worship Bonzo but my reason is very clear. Keith Moon was Nuts, Pure and simple. Not only was he a legendary prankster and unpredictable character but his personality came through in his drumming. I am convinced that his playing style was a huge influence on the creation of “Animal” from the Muppets. When you watch old videos of Keith Moon his arms are flailing uncontrollably above his head before they reach their target yet every beat is timed to perfection and he never loses his rhythm. This level of performance yet professionalism has to be enough to head this list.

So that is it, my top 5. There are a few that I feel people would have expected me to add with my well-publicised love of Pink Floyd and The Beatles but I could not justify adding Nick Mason as nowadays his live performances are supported by a second drummer and a percussionist. As for my exclusion of Ringo, well, I will refer you to a quote from John Lennon “Do I think Ringo is the best Drummer in the world? He’s not even the best drummer in the Beatles”.

No comments:

Post a Comment