Saturday 23 March 2013

Travels around the world – And onto Oz


The flight from Hong Kong to Australia was a very strange one. For a start the plane was almost empty so as soon as we had taken off and the fasten seatbelts sign was turned off I spread myself over the 4 middle seats with my head on a pillow and slept.  The heat and humidity in Hong Kong had drained me and I was out for the count in no time.
I have always been lucky enough to not be bothered by things when I am sleeping so when I woke up and saw my mate looking worried I had not got a clue what was going on.  Apparently there was a cyclone heading towards China and we were going through some turbulent weather, Ian was into all of that type of stuff like Airplanes and the engineering behind them and said that the plane must have dropped about 1000 feet during the turbulence but I never felt a thing.
We heard a few days later that the storm had hit Hong Kong and there were pictures in the newspaper of a plane that had gone off the end of the runway and into the harbour. I am glad we left before this happened as I am sure I would not have slept on the plane with the memory of this incident in my head.
Getting into Australia itself wasn’t without its issues, we flew into Brisbane but then got an internal flight into Cairns so that we could start in the North and make our way down the coast.  On arriving in Cairns we were kept waiting and eventually had all of our bags searched.  It turns out that we were not selected at random but simply because we were the only non Australians that were planning on leaving the airport in Cairns.  Everyone else on the flight were either nationals or had gone into transit so before we could enter the country we had to open all of our bags and prove that we were not attempting to bring any food in or introduce any foreign species of animal to their eco system. The immigration officials were friendly enough and we had a good laugh with them so it wasn’t really a major intrusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment